Friday, August 12, 2005

Open Letter To Bruce Springsteen

Dear Bruce-

I need to apologize. I've been a fan for many years and have been to probably 7 or 8 (maybe 9?) of your concerts. Have LovedLovedLoved every single one of them! (LUUUUUUUVED them!) But see, I bought your new album Devils & Dust and was a bit (and I feel blasphemous saying this) "disappointed" (*cringe*) with it. (I think I've been in a Need To Rock stage for the past couple of years and what with your album being so mellow and all. At any rate ...I only listened to it a couple of times). So when I heard about your Portland concert I vacillated on purchasing a ticket because I knew that:

a) the majority of songs would be from the new album
b) the concert was listed as "acoustic" and hence there would be no rocking out*
c) even the E Street Band was not going to be there
d) none of my friends are Bruce fans with whom I can share the experience
e) HOLY COW! $100 per ticket?!!!

But based on past concert performances I counted my pennies (ie whipped out the ole charge card) and bought a ticket.

(Are ya still with me?... cuz here comes the "apology" part.)

Bruce, I'm sorry I momentarily doubted you.

The concert was ABSOLUTELY 100% P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L! There was no need for a backup band (whether the E Street or others). There was no need for an elaborate stage setup. Nor for pyrotechnics, costumes, opening bands and/or any other gimmick. All that was needed was you. Just you.

At times you used your guitar or harmonica or keyboard or pounded out percussion on the front of the guitar while you strummed (that was awesome btw) .... but at other times it was just your voice. And you rocked the house.

Thousands of people in the audience and yet you could hear a pin drop during your songs as the crowd sat spellbound. Personally, I couldn't take my eyes off of you. You made me laugh. And you made me cry. In fact, the emotions ran the gamut. No other concert performer
(and I've seen hundreds) comes close to your genius. And I'm not even certain why that is. But it just is.

And so this letter is to thank you for sharing your talent with the world. And to let you know that there will be NO vacillating on my attendance at future concerts. I will be there. Without a doubt.

Sincerely,
Kat


*does it get any better than rocking out with an everyone-on-their-feet-screaming-out-every-song-word crowd to the likes of Thunder Road, Badlands or Born To Run?? Nope, it sure doesn't!

No comments: