Monday, October 03, 2005

Ground Zero

Because today is a Monday (and thus by default not as good as, say, a Saturday!), I don't feel 100% and somehow I missed Fall and Portland went straight to Winter (ie brrrrrrrr!), I decided that today would be the day to report on my recent visit to the World Trade Center site. In other words, there will be no Funny here, people. The Sock was not even allowed out to view Ground Zero. That simply would have felt sacrilegious.

Okay, here we go....

Here's a view of the Manhattan skyline without the Twin Towers. This was taken from the Staten Island Ferry:



A couple of pictures of Ground Zero:




This is a sign posted at the memorial which depicts the timeline of the events of September 11th, 2001 (as with all other pics on this post, you can click each image to enlarge):



Do you remember back when I posted from New York City and mentioned that I would be writing about "Fuckin' Kids"? Yeah, well ... the following is what that title was referring to.

The WTC memorial also has some artwork created by kids who lost a parent on September 11th. The following are some pictures I took of a couple of those. Damn kids had me crying. And I don't like crying in public, people!!! OMG! .. can you say "heartbreaking"??? Criminey! Shouldn't be allowed, I tell ya. That last one just killed me.




But, on a brighter note, the plans for the new "Freedom Tower" look pretty cool. The pictures didn't come out great...what with the reflection on the glass and all ...but they give you an idea:



So there ya have it. The visit to Ground Zero. Other posts regarding events on the trip will be a bit more uplifting and/or entertaining ... I promise!! :) But this one just needed to be done.

No comments: