Thursday, August 16, 2007

You might want to be sitting down for this .... I'm going to talk knitting!

I KNOW! Shocker, right?! I'm actually KNITTING ... and have pictures to prove it! Whoo hoo!

But first, I was so impressed with myself last night when I figured out (with the help of the wondrous internets) how to wind yarn into a pull skein. See, I started with this:


Lorna Hand-Dyed - Swirl Chunky

And ended with this! YAY me!




So I tried it out .... and found that the yarn would only pull from the center for about one yard .... then it just was NOT pulling out any more! I mean, I was grabbing it with two hands and pulling while practically bracing my feet up against the yarn ball. To absolutely NO avail. That yarn was just not budging. So I decided to use it as an outter pull yarn ball instead and deal with the massive internal tangle when I get to it! :) (y'all can just call me "Scarlett O'Hara'!)

I was reading Crazy Aunt Purl's site yesterday and remembered her post about the Magic Scarf. I figured this yarn was PERFECT for it so I decided to give it a go. The only difference being that my OCD-self wouldn't allow for squares being 5 stitches wide by 10 rows in length (5x10=rectangle not a square!) so I altered my pattern to only 5 rows before the switch. And this is what I have so far ..... I like it!







Cool basketweave! It IS magic!!!! :)

I also added the 3 rows of garter stitch at the beginning to keep the scarf edge straight. Seems to be working! Of course, I don't know that mine will be 9 FEET LONG as Purl's was! In fact, I'm guessin' it will probably be "Until I Get To The Massive Internal Yarn Tangle" Long, I'm thinkin!

Just a guess ... but if I was a bettin' woman that's where I'd put my money!! ;)

No comments: